CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Guilty Pleasure -- ?

So I was typing a profile for a website I was registering for, and some of the questions they asked was for interests. I found myself listing all the different things I enjoy, one of which was TV. And what I've found, is that I feel like I need to be apologetic when listing all the TV programs I like -- like it's some kind of sin to like TV.

Any more, in today's fitness conscious society, it is "frowned upon" if you enjoy TV. All kinds of names abound for it -- couch potato being one of them. And I know that I am the epitome of couch potato -- overweight, hate to exercise, blah blah. But I enjoy TV. There are lots of TV programs that I enjoy; none of which are reality tv or any of those Maury Povich type shows. Okay, I like the occasional Dr. Phil or Oprah, and sometimes they get a little sensationalism in their programming. But generally I like to be entertained. I like game shows (okay yeah I know; mind candy). But I like the game shows that make you think, not stupid ones like Price is Right.

Okay so I'm an intellectual couch potato. LOL

I like CSI NY, CSI, House, Cold Case, Bones, NCIS, Numb3rs, Without A Trace, Law & Order SVU, Shark, Medium, Ghost Whisperer, and so forth. I have TiVo (or Comcast's version of DVR). I like HGTV and TLC. I like watching Designed to Sell, House Hunters, My House is Worth What? A Baby Story, and A Wedding Story.

What?!? Why is that bad???

Now if we enjoyed killing people or something, I could see there being a need for some sort of sanction and societal frowning-upon. It's not like I'm advocating indulging in anything illegal or immoral here, mmm-kay?

But I like TV, dammit. I don't like everything on it, but I do have a long list of shows I enjoy. It brings me pleasure to see a TiVo list of new shows waiting to be watched. Is that so wrong?!?

Anyway, it just struck me today that I seem to feel the need to be half-embarrased and apologetic when listing TV as one of my interests. Maybe if I were slim and fit, I wouldn't feel so embarrassed about it.

1 comments:

Karen said...

Hey, Karen, don't worry about it -- we all have our guilty pleasures, whether we admit to it or not. I know I have on my Facebook page that I seldom watch t.v., but I listen to it all the time because my computer is easily accessible from the living room where my family is watching Spongebob Squarepants, the Simpsons, and Family Guy. Law and Order will occasionally tempt me away from the keyboard. Back in the days before we had a computer, I would read while half-watching t.v. So, I seldom just watch a television program, but I "half-watch" a whole lot -- and it isn't always intellectual fare.

Oh, I'll admit to a guilty t.v. pleasure: I watched all of "Who Wants to Be a Superhero?" -- a reality show where you actually have to be a good guy, instead of a jerk, in order to win. Now, how's that for a silly show to be watching?

You can always quote Mr. Spock: "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for recreation".

Love, Karen B.