Thursday, February 07, 2008

They talk funny here!

Missed a post for yesterday and the day before, but here I am, sitting in the Scott County Library in Waldron, Arkansas checking email. My parents don't stay here enough to have a computer or internet service at home, so I didn't even bring my laptop. But it's nice that their library has these nice computers for us to use! Mom is checking her email, and I just checked mine, and thought I'd take the opportunity to do a quick blog before we move on.

I went down to Sacramento Tuesday night and spent the night at the Host Hotel at the airport. My flight left at 7am so I still had to get up at 4:30 Wednesday morning in order to catch the flight. The entrance to the Host Hotel is just past the terminals, so you have to circle around in order to park in the terminal parking. I cricled once, and missed the turn, so I had to circle around again, finally got a good spot in the covered parking garage. The Host would have kept my car while I was gone, but it cost the same as the parking garage, and the parking at the host isn't covered.

Anyway, after my circling, I was getting a little concerned because it was about 5:50am by then, and you're supposed to check in at least an hour before your flight. I was afraid if I checked in too late, they'd not let me on the plane. But I got down the elevator and over to the Southwest check in, and fortunately there was no line. I checked my bags, and went upstairs to stand in line for security.

The line for security was ridiculously long, but fortunately they had all their stations open and it moved really quickly. I had wondered if a midweek flight in February would generate many passengers, but apparently a 7am flight is appealing to a lot of people, including people who commute. But the line moved quickly, and I was through security by about 6:10am. I got some breakfast and ate it at the gate. They boarded us about 6:40, and the flight wasn't full! This leg of the flight went from Sacramento to Kansas City, MO, then I was to change planes and fly from KC to Tulsa. With Southwest's new seating deal, you get a number when you check in online, and I was probably the 10th one on the plane, and I didn't have to stand in line at the A gate for an hour beforehand! That was really nice. I got a exit row seat, so I had tons of leg room! It was great. The flight was maybe half full, and no one else sat in my row! So it was great -- I had TONS of room, and since it was a two and a half hour flight! I sat in the window seat, since I didn't have to worry about disturbing anyone, should I need to use the bathroom, so I ate and drank sodas with impungity sp?). I read my book napped a bit -- fabulous flight.

We landed in KC and there was snow on the ground! I'll post pics when I get back. We didn't have to go outside at all, of course. But it was sure pretty. I had two and a half hours between flights, so I got some lunch and then read at the gate.

The flight from KC to Tulsa was only about half full, also. I had an exit row seat there, also -- fabulous!! These were the best flights I'd ever had. The row I was in only had one other guy - on the aisle, so there was an empty seat between us. It was great. I wish I could fly like that all the time. When the flights are full, it really makes it uncomfortable. Especially when you have to go to the bathroom, and they no longer let you line up, so as soon as someone exits the bathroom, you have to like jump up and run and hope no one else gets up in front of you. Geesh. What a bad system. The plane was a little late leaving KC (maybe 15 minutes) but it was a short hop to Tulsa. I think it was 55 minutes gate-to-gate, so I doubt we even reached cruising altitude before descending into Tulsa. My cold really gave me fits with the landings, especially, but the take-offs, too. I had to chew a lot of gum, pop my ears alot, and took the nose drops that my doctor suggested. It helped and my ears aren't plugged, but it was difficult.

My parents met me at the gate, and we drove home to Waldron. It takes about three hours. We ate dinner, visited for a bit, and then fell into bed. I was exhausted! Their house in Waldron is really nice. I'll post pics when I get home. Today, we're running a few errands, and then we'll go out to the family farm this afternoon in Cauthron, where my dad grew up, and where my aunt and uncle now live. Then tomorrow I'm not sure what we'll be doing. Saturday, we're going to meet my cousins, my other aunt and uncle at a restaurant near Ft. Smith for lunch. Then we're attending a Big Brothers/Big Sister banquet Saturday night. Then Sunday, we'll have to leave about noon so I can make my 5:30 plane. Should be a fun time!

Very relaxing, but the two hour time difference makes me feel a little jet-lagged. It will be fun to see my relatives I haven't seen in 12 years.

B. had his sleep study last night, for his snoring and possible sleep apnea. He said it wasn't TOO bad, but it definitely wasn't fun. He slept better than he thought he would. His dr. will have the results in 7 to 10 days. I hope they can come up with a solution to help him sleep better. He's exhausted all the time during the day, and that can't feel good.

Well, I need to get going. We're going to go to my cousin's store, poke around a bit downtown, and then go to the farm. TTYL!


CuisineMadeEasy said...

Glad you got there okay! Hey is B. Bill. If so I didn't know he may have sleep apnea. Hope the tests come out okay.



The Huffs said...

Hi Jennie,

Yep, B is Bill. I've been told I reveal too much about ourselves so that crazy people can find us, but who knows. Anyway, we will find out if he has sleep apnea. I know he snores like a freight train sometimes so I'm hoping they can fix that!