Sunday, August 17, 2008

Stuff and Junk

Okay not much has been happening around here; just the usual "stuff and junk."

Last Thursday was a crazy busy day. Scott, my youngest son, has not been feeling well for a couple of weeks. On Wednesday, I came home from work and he was sleeping. About 7:00 p.m., I woke him up and asked him if he was okay. He said yeah, that he was just sleepy. I asked him if he wanted something to eat and he said that he'd get something later. I asked him when was the last time he ate, and he said "yesteray" (which would have been Tuesday). I figured he is a big boy at age 20 and left him alone. He never did get up and eat something, and I went to bed about 10pm.

Well, I heard him get up in the middle of the night (maybe about 3am-ish), but I didn't hear him moving around, so I figured he'd gone back to sleep (he had). When I woke up the next morning, he was still asleep!!! That meant he'd gone to sleep after work (which was about 3:30 or so) and slept most of the time until I finally woke him up at 7:00am!! That's around 14 hours of sleep. Plus the fact that he hadn't eaten anything since Tuesday, and that day was Thursday.

I banged on his door and made him get up. He said he still felt exhausted, and I told him that sleeping too long will do that to you. I told him to get up and take a shower, and that I would go get him something to eat. I ran to McDonald's and got him a sausage mcmuffin with egg combo, with a large OJ to drink. When I got home, he was just getting out of the shower. I had to run to work, but I made him eat it. I told him he needed to see the doctor, that I would pay for it or we'd figure something out, but he had to be seen.

Later that morning, I called my doctor to see if I could get him to see one of the doctors in the practice. He didn't want to go to my doctor, since she's female. ::eye roll:: Plus, when I called to see if he could get into the practice, this receptionist says he has to fill out all this paperwork, and then the doctors would "decide" whether or not he would be accepted into the pratice (WTF??) and then if he was, he'd have an initial appointment with his chosen doctor, bladiddy blah.

What is THAT about?!? "Accepted" into the practice? Meaning if you don't have a lot of health problems so you don't cost the doctors their bonuses from the HMO's??? Holy crap! I was appalled. So my son smokes; I'm assuming he won't be "allowed" into the practice. I have an appointment with my doctor on the 25th; believe you me, she and I are going to have a little chat. Humph.

Anyway, so I called the social services offices to find out about Medi-Cal. Since he isn't yet 21 he qualifies for MediCal, otherwise he'd have to have CHMPDB something or the other. Anyway, the gal from social services said that if he goes to one of those prompt care places, that they will see him if he tells them he will be applying for MediCal, that they will see him without requiring him to pay. However, he must apply for MediCal in the same month that he has services; and if he's denied, he will be responsible for the bill himself.

So I told him I'd meet him over at the Prompt Care place just in case they wouldn't do that and they needed some money. **sigh**. I'm just a big giant checkbook to these kids. LOL Anyway, I knew that if he had some meds, that I'd have to pay for those, too. I knew he needed to be seen, because sleeping for 14 hours is NOT normal.

I called Scott about lunchtime, and told him about going to Prompt Care after work. he said he'd call me when he was ready to leave work. I told him I was going to bring him something for lunch, and that he was going to eat it! He agreed. I ran to Burger King and got him a double stack cheeseburger combo, large size. Now, you may be saying, why is she getting him all this unhealthy fast food to eat?!? Well you need to understand; eating has never been a priority for this kid. He's 6'4" tall and weighs maybe 150 lbs. Yeah. He's super skinny. So he could use the fattening up.

Back at the office: One of my co-workers (and former boss) Bud, the HR Director at work, has been having stomach pains for a couple of weeks now, and he FINALLY went to the doctor that same day, and the doctor immediately sent him over to the emergency room at the hospital for some tests. He either had a hot appendix or diverticulitis. He was probably going to be admitted overnight; but at the very least he wasn't going to be in any shape to drive, so he called me at the office and asked if I would bring Patrick, another co-worker, over to the hospital to drive Bud's car back to the office where it would be locked up all night. Patrick has a Mini Cooper like Bud's; I guess it's kind of tricky to drive. ::shrug:: Whatever.

So I had to scramble to ask Patrick if he would do that, field a phone call from my son about meeting over at the Prompt Care, drop Patrick off at the ER, say hello to Bud's s/o Margaret and get an update on his condition, and jump back into the car to meet Scott at the Prompt Care. Fortunately they allowed Scott to be seen without paying, since he is applying for MediCal. That's when I sat in the waiting room with no book and I saw the newspaper article I posted about in this post.

Fortunately, there wasn't anyone in the Prompt Care to be seen except one guy ahead of Scott, and amazingly enough, we got out of there within about 20 minutes. I couldn't believe it! That is almost unheard of. Turns out he has an ear infection in both ears and a cough that won't quit. So they gave him a prescription for some antibiotics and cough medicine. He's already feeling better. We left the Prompt Care and went to Raley's, where he got his prescriptions filled.

The funny thing is that while we were waiting for his prescriptions to be filled, Scott and I sat and chatted for awhile. He said that it was National Nagging Day that day. I laughed and said well I guess I got my nagging in today. He just smiled and said that my nagging was Mom nagging, and that's okay. I thought that was cute; that he didn't mind my "mothering" him, even at 20-almost-21.

Oh, and Bud? Turns out he has diverticulitis. Not a fun thing to have, basically it's an infection in the bends of the intestine. He was sent home that day on heavy-duty antibiotics, with orders to rest for a few days. I'm sure he'll be back at work tomorrow. Yay!

Whew! What a day. Yesterday was Friday, and we'd been scheduled to see an Outlaws game. We had bought tickets because it benefitted Annie B's, a local fundraiser for local nonprofits, and figured we'd use the $40 we had in Rascal Bucks left over from last year. Turns out that the vendors at the stadium aren't honoring Rascal Bucks from last year!!! WTF?!? We left the game, because we were starving, and I wasn't about to spend our hard-earned money on food from vendors that wouldn't honor our bucks from last year!! That was just horrible. I was so pissed. No wonder they can't get anyone to come to their games. Geesh. Believe me, they're going to hear about that tomorrow. I plan on going to their offices and giving them a piece of my mind!

We left there and went to Big Al's, a fifties-style diner where we had the best cheeseburgers, fries and shake. I know; heart attack in waiting. But it was gooood and much cheaper than the burger at the ball park.

Yesterday, we ran around and did errands. We went out to breakfast, then went home and made a grocery list. We ran downtown to the bank, back home because we'd gotten new ATM cards and couldn't remember the PIN number (when you get new cards, you have to go into the bank and redo your PIN numbers; in the meantime you have to use the ones they send you. Grrrrrrrr.). Back to the bank, then to Super Cuts for Bill to get a haircut while I browsed at Best Buy. Then we went to Target and picked up some things. We decided to look for a new can opener, because the one we have is really not working well at all. We ended up looking at Linens and Things, Costco, Bed Bath and Beyond and didn't find anything particularly appealing. We found one we liked at BB&B, but I have a 20% off coupon, so we will wait until I can get to that side of town again with my coupon before we purchase it. No reason to waste gas going back out there.

Then we went grocery shopping and came home and put the food away. It was fairly late in the afternoon by then, and we just relaxed until it was time to fix dinner. Bill BBQ'd bratwurst and we had brats and french fries for dinner. Yum!! Bill went to bed early and I stayed up and watched a movie I'd rented called "Awake." It was REALLY good!!!

Now it's Sunday morning and we've had a relaxing morning. Got up about 7:3o or so. It's almost 9am and I am thinking about getting up and getting some breakfast. It's been super hot the past few days -- over 100 degrees for several days in a row. Whew!! Thank goodness for A/C, but our power bill was through the roof this month!!

Hope you have a great Sunday!