CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Deafening . . .

I was watching the episode of Medium tonight that I'd TiVo'd, and during this episode, Allison became temporarily deaf. This show did a really interesting thing. What they managed to do, was to weave into the story a really excellent portrayal of what a person goes through who becomes deaf.

It really brought home how isolated a person is who is deaf. How lonely and cut off from the rest of the world they feel. I don't know if it would be different with someone who was born deaf, but the character Allison really struggled with a sense of isolation, depression, and not feeling part of the family anymore. That has to be really, really difficult.

I've always thought that if someone told me I had to lose one of my senses and I could choose it, which one would it be? I'd probably choose my sense of taste, but given the choice between hearing and sight, I'd choose losing my hearing, because I love to read and do so many visual activities. Also? Losing one's sight to me seems like it would make one much more dependent on others - something I've never liked. It makes you more vulnerable. Control freak? Yeah, that would be me.

It never occurred to me that deafness could have such a profound effect on one's life. I mean, I always thought you'd adapt, you'd figure things out. But watching Allison sobbing on this show, saying she missed hearing the sounds of the household, the sound of her husband's and kids' voices, and how lonely her husband said he felt, it really struck me how devastating this event would be in someone's life.

Truly, every day we have to live in the moment. Get up every day, and thank God every day for the blessings we do have, and do not piss and moan about what you don't have.

0 comments: